Re: [Xen-devel] xl: pci completion error

On Wed, 6 Oct 2010, Sergey Tovpeko wrote:
> The guest is Windows XP sp2 32 bit.
>
> When I do pci hot-unplug on the fly
> xl pci-detach 11:0b.0
> the guest detaches the pci card correctly with 'pci-removed' signal, but
> on the shutdown, it doesn't.
>
> In the code the flow is the following:
> qemu-dm receives the 'pci-rem' command and sends the SCI interrupt to
> the guest. I think guest should catch this interrupt and write to the
> magic ACPI port that causes qemu-dm send 'pci-removed' signal.
>
> On guest shutdown,  libxl sends 'pci-rem' command to qemu-dm and waits
> for the answer.
> I suppose, by the time 'pci-rem' signal my guest have finished its work,
> and doesn't react on SCI interrupt. As a result libxl doesn't receive
> pci-removed signal.
>
> It's my observation.

We could probably benefit from a boolean "force" parameter to do_pci_remove
and libxl_device_pci_remove, that would cause do_pci_remove not to
return if libxl__wait_for_device_model returns error.
Of course libxl_device_pci_remove would be called with force=1 by
libxl_device_pci_shutdown.
Gianni, what do you think?