Re: [Xen-devel] Prevent guest OSes from accessing paricular memory locations

On Sat, Oct 16, 2010 at 03:55:37PM +0100, limp wrote:
>    Hi all,
>
>    This is my first post on the list so please bare with me!
>
>    I would like to use Xen hypervisor for running a Linux guest but I want to
>    prohibit Linux from accessing (i.e. writing to) some physical memory
>    locations in which registers of some x86 peripherals are located in. For
>    instance, I would like to prevent Linux (not only the Linux kernel code
>    but anyone who tries to access these I/O ports and memory mapped registers
>    by e.g. writing a kernel module, etc.) from accessing I/O ports 3F8h -
>    3FFh (serial port 1) and HPET memory mapped registers at 0xFED00000 -
>    0xFED003FF.
>
>    Is it possible Xen to redirect these accesses to a printf displaying for
>    instance a message saying "The access to this memory location is not
>    allowed" or just ignore them?
>
>    Please have a look at
>    [1]http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/4431/linuxmoduleaccessesproh.gif for
>    a graphical overview of what I want to achieve.
>
>    Any help will be much appreciated.

So I assume you're talking about Linux driver in Xen dom0 ?

How about using Xen hypervisor badpage= boot option to mark
specific memory addresses as bad?

See: http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenHypervisorBootOptions

-- Pasi