Re: [Xen-devel] How to detect HAP from DomU?

  • To: "Jiang, Yunhong" <yunhong.jiang@xxxxxxxxx>, Juergen Gross <juergen.gross@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Keir Fraser <keir@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2010 08:50:22 +0000
  • Cc: "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 10 Nov 2010 00:52:03 -0800

On 10/11/2010 08:44, "Jiang, Yunhong" <yunhong.jiang@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> You could do a few remaps and copies and see how long it takes? Has the
>>> advantage that you aren't tied up to one policy based on one system's
>>> timings for those particuler ops. I don't think basing policy on static
>>> assumptions about hidden implementation features is a good idea.
>>
>> Okay, that's a good idea.
>> I'm going this way.
>
> Will this works for Live Migration? After LM, your previous check will be
> invalid. (Can we migrate between system w/wo HAP?)
> Or you can check after each LM.

Yeah, you'd have to do that regardless of how you make the copy/remap
decision. Well, unless your migration pool is homogeneous, which it ought to
be in many cases. Anyhow, if the guest has PV drivers then you get a
migration callback and you can hook off that easy enough.

 -- Keir