Re: [Xen-devel] [RFC Patch] Support for making an E820 PCI hole in toolstack (xl + xm)

On Sat, Nov 13, 2010 at 07:40:30AM +0000, Keir Fraser wrote:
> Why doesn't the guest punch its own hole, by relocating RAM above 4GB?

 1). Did not work for me - I am not sure why but I had the hardest time do
     hypervisor_populate_physmap - it would just hang the guest.
 2). It is much simple to parse the E820 in the Linux kernel than actually
     creating new E820 entries in the kernel (hypercall), making a bunch of
     hypervisor calls that unmap, then remap the space, filling out the P2M
     with INVALID_MFN, and doing all of that before the "real" Linux kernel
     actually starts (all would have to be done in xen_start_kernel).
     I have a sinking feeling tha the upstream community would not like it
     this that much.

> That's what all HVM guests do (in hvmloader).

  3). Which is also part of the Xen tool-stack.

Keir, I think you posted it at some point - was there a standard 'indent'
incantention for the tools/libxc StyleGuide (which is similar to to the xen/*
one) - I can't find it in my mail archive...