Re: [Xen-devel] [RFC Patch] Support for making an E820 PCI hole in toolstack (xl + xm)

On 11/15/2010 10:41 AM, Keir Fraser wrote:
>> Oh, there was another reason that I so obvious that I completly forgot. DomU
>> has no idea where the host PCI hole starts. In most cases it is at 3GB (or
>> even
>> further up - 3.5GB), but a quick look for 'Allocating PCI resources starting
>> at'
>> at Google shows that there are some that start at 1.2G.
> Hm, true. We could give you access to XENMEM_machine_memory_map? It's not
> really got any big secrets or privileged things in it. :-)
>
> Or, is there much disadvantage, to having a static really big PCI hole? Say
> starting at 1GB? The advantage of this would be the ability to hotplug PCI
> devices to a domU even across save/restore/migrate -- this may not work so
> well if you commit yourself to the hole size of the original host, and the
> restore/migrate target host has a bigger hole!

Well, the other question is whether the devices have to have the same
pfn as mfn within the hole.  We're emulating the PCI config space anyway
- couldn't we stick the passthrough PCI space at 3G regardless of where
it is on the real hardware?