Re: [Xen-devel] Re: blktap: Sync with XCP, dropping zero-copy.

On 17 Nov 2010, at 12:35, Stefano Stabellini wrote:

On Wed, 17 Nov 2010, Daniel Stodden wrote:

Related, Xapi depends a lot on dom0 plugs, where the datapath can be
somewhat hairy when it comes to blocking I/O and resource allocation.

I am not sure what do you mean here.

We would very much like to move away from dom0 block attaches. Currently they're required for (probably non exhaustive list):
- pygrub
- VM import/export
- vdi import/export
- suspend/resume
- Demo Linux VM installation (XS only)

Dave is already working on moving the export code to a domU. The VDI stuff is similar, and suspend resume could be done via plugging into e.g. qemu stub-domains, and pygrub could be eventually replaced by PVgrub.

So it's not inconceivable that XCP might no longer require dom0 block attaches in a similar timescale to that being discussed.

Jon