Re: [Xen-devel] which pvops kernel?

On Sun, Dec 05, 2010 at 10:56:54PM +1100, James Harper wrote:

> > On 12/04/2010 06:03 PM, James Harper wrote:
> > > I just pulled the latest changes to xen/stable-2.6.32.x and while it
> > > built okay, hardly any of my raid volumes came up and I got billions
> of
> > > usb messages (sequential errors about device numbers that don't
> exist)
> > > and then a crash.
> > >
> > > Is stable-2.6.32.x still recommended or have we moved on to another
> > > kernel?
> >
> > No, that's still the recommended kernel.  What changeset ID did you
> > get?  What was the last kernel that worked?  Can you capture the full
> > boot output?
> >
> > There haven't been very many changes to that kernel lately, so it
> should
> > be fairly easy to work out where things went wrong.
> >

> Strange thing. The raid volumes problem was an error in my mdadm.conf
> that the earlier commit of 2.6.32 was apparently not sensitive to... I
> didn't think that was a kernel related file.

mdadm.conf probably gets included to initramfs image..

> The USB problem hasn't reoccurred, even though it happened on 3
> consecutive boots earlier, with successful boots of the older kernel in
> between.

So maybe the failure with the new kernel only happens after a full
poweroff-poweron cycle, when the USB is in some initial state..

when you run the earlier kernel, and then soft-boot to the new kernel,
the USB is already properly initialized or something..

Just guessing.

-- Pasi