[Xen-devel] Security Implications of letting customers use their own kernel

  • To: Xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Jonathan Tripathy <jonnyt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 12:26:28 +0000
  • Cc:
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 04:27:06 -0800

Hi Everyone,

What are the security implications of letting customers install their own kernel?

In my own research, I have only seen things that would compromise their own DomU. My main area on concern is to protect all the other DomUs.

An area of potential concern is if someone were to build a kernel that enabled "No Execute" or "Disable Execution", could that compromise other DomUs? Or would that just leave their DomU vulnerable to running malicious code?

Anyone aware of anything else?

Thanks