Re: [Xen-devel] QEMU upstreaming: status and todo

  • To: Stefano Stabellini <Stefano.Stabellini@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Keir Fraser <keir@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2011 17:37:15 +0000
  • Cc: Anthony.Perard@xxxxxxxxxx, Kamala Narasimhan <Kamala.Narasimhan@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 05 Jan 2011 09:38:15 -0800

On 05/01/2011 17:03, "Stefano Stabellini" <Stefano.Stabellini@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> - switch to SeaBios
> Qemu uses SeaBios, that has several advantages on RomBios, one of them
> is that SeaBios is actually maintained.
> It makes sense to switch from the old Qemu and the old bios to a new
> Qemu and a new bios at the same time in order to reduce the
> compatibility pains to users.

Are the two really dependent on each other? Our virtual firmware seems to
work okay now, it took a while to get there, and it now rarely needs to be
fixed. I guess I don't care about the legacy rombios/vgabios bits too much,
but I'd be unhappy about throwing away all our ACPI stuff. That was a pain
to actually get working well. That means you can have
tools/firmware/{rom,vga}bios if you want, but trickier to mess with anything
under tools/firmware/hvmloader.

 -- Keir