Re: [Xen-devel] Re: pvusb drivers for pvops 2.6.32.x kernel

On Wed, Jan 05, 2011 at 09:07:49PM +0800, Nathanael Rensen wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 04, 2011 at 09:33:39AM +0000, Ian Campbell wrote:
> >
> > I think the correct path for this functionality is to first get it
> > accepted into the upstream kernel by working with the USB subsystem
> > maintainer+list, fixing the issue arising from their review etc.
>
> I'm happy to have a shot at that. I don't imagine it will be a quick
> process so in the meantime I think there is value in supporting pvusb
> in stable/2.6.32.x to encourage people to test and identify issues,
> and also to make it easier to track the maintenance.

Yeah, at least earlier Jeremy said he's happy to take most patches for
xen/stable-2.6.32.x :)

> > The stuff necessary to get the frontend upstream has been upstream for
> > ages. For the backend basic dom0 boot support is in 2.6.37 and the
> > generic scaffolding for backends is currently in linux-next (via
> > Konrad's tree) and is intended to be in the next merge window.
> >
> > I think the backend just looks like a regular USB driver to the host
> > system so it probably belongs in drivers/usb/<something>/xen-usbback/
> > and not drivers/xen. (I'm not sure what the <something> should be,
> > perhaps "misc").
>
> I agree that the frontend driver looks like a regular USB host
> controller driver and belongs in drivers/usb/host. From the dom0
> perspective the backend driver is a consumer of USB services rather
> than a provider so my inclination is that the proper place for the
> backend is drivers/xen along with blkback, netback and pciback. Much
> the same way as I would expect to find a USB TV tuner driver in
> drivers/media rather than drivers/usb. I would prefer to remain
> consistent with the model established by the block, net and pci
> drivers, but I am happy to adopt whatever convention is acceptable to
> upstream.

Something I noticed about the pvusb backend..
Should the name of the driver be xen-usbbk instead of just usbbk ?

The other backend driver modules seem to have xen- prefix.

-- Pasi