RE: [Xen-devel] xm save + restore crashes Windows 2008 32-bit (4.0.2-rc2-pre)

  • To: "Tim Deegan" <Tim.Deegan@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 20:28:27 +1100
  • Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 01:29:03 -0800

> At 04:20 +0000 on 25 Jan (1295929205), James Harper wrote:
> > Under the latest xen-4.0-testing, xm save + xm restore of Windows
2008
> > causes a BSoD on restore. This is without any PV drivers loaded. I
> > haven't tested any other versions of windows.
> >
> > According to the debugger when I did have PV drivers loaded, the
crash
> > happens on the return to userspace. I haven't looked at the debugger
> > with no PV drivers loaded.
> >
> > The bug check is 0x7F (0xD, 0, 0, 0) which is an unspecified
exception.

> > Is anyone else able to reproduce?
>
> I saw a failure like this last month but when I came to look at it
again
> it seemed to be working.   Are you testing on Intel or AMD hardware?

AMD (cpuinfo below). I've just spent the last few hours updating my
Intel box to test on that too. Save/resume was working but was only
3.4.1 so isn't really a comparison.

Both are now same xen, tools, and kernel.

I should know if the problem exists on intel very soon. I'm guessing not
or I wouldn't be the first one posting about it... either that or there
is something else going on.

James

(cpuinfo from in Dom0)

processor       : 0
vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
cpu family      : 15
model           : 67
model name      : Dual-Core AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 1210
stepping        : 3
cpu MHz         : 1799.999
cache size      : 1024 KB
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 1
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu de tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr mca cmov pat
clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt lm 3dnowext
3dnow up rep_good extd_apicid pni cx16 hypervisor lahf_lm cmp_legacy
extapic cr8_legacy
bogomips        : 3599.99
TLB size        : 1024 4K pages
clflush size    : 64