[Xen-devel] Re: One (possible) x86 get_user_pages bug

>>> On 27.01.11 at 14:05, Xiaowei Yang <xiaowei.yang@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> We created a scenario to reproduce the bug:
> // proc1/proc1.2 are 2 threads sharing one page table.
> // proc1 is the parent of proc2.
>
> proc1               proc2          proc1.2
> ...                 ...            // in gup_pte_range()
> ...                 ...            pte = gup_get_pte()
> ...                 ...            page1 = pte_page(pte)  // (1)
> do_wp_page(page1)   ...            ...
> ...                 exit_map()     ...
> ...                 ...            get_page(page1)        // (2)
>
> do_wp_page() and exit_map() cause page1 to be released into free list
> before get_page() in proc1.2 is called. The longer the delay between
> (1)&(2), the easier the BUG_ON shows.

The scenario indeed seems to apply independent of virtualization,
but the window obviously can be unbounded unless running
native.

However, going through all the comments in gup.c again I wonder
whether pv Xen guests don't violate the major assumption: There
is talk about interrupts being off preventing (or sufficiently
deferring) remote CPUs doing TLB flushes. In pv Xen guests,
however, non-local TLB flushes do not happen by sending IPIs -
the hypercall interface gets used instead. If that's indeed the
case, I would have expected quite a few bug reports, but I'm
unaware of any - Nick, am I overlooking something here?

Jan