Re: [Xen-devel] how to debug xen

On Tue, Feb 01, 2011 at 03:41:02AM +0800, holmes wrote:
>    Hi all,
>    I am new to Xen. I want to debug xen. So I have few questions here. If
>    anybody can help me, I'd appreciate it.
>    1: My system is ubuntu 8.04. I download the xen-3.4.2 source code from xen
>    website. After I "make world", it will download the linux-2.6.18-xen.hg
>    (kernel?).  Also it will make many other folders (./dist). I found
>    blkfront.c in both ./linux-2.6.18-xen.hg/drivers/xen/blkfront folder and
>    ./dist/install/lib/modules/2.6.18.8-xen/source/drivers/xen/blkfront/
>    folder. So, what's the difference of the two folders and what are they
>    doing?

dist/ is the directory where stuff lands after successful build,
ie. you can copy from dist/ to / to install xen.

>    2: if I want to log the activities (read/write block) information in
>    domU(winxp), how do I log it? For example, if domU read a block, I
>    therefore print a information into a log file (like "domU read"). Should I
>    change something in blkfront.c file? If so, which one should I change,
>    because there are two blkfront.c.
>    3: if I want to log the information, I GUESS (not sure) I should use
>    log.debug (or else) to log the info. into some log files. How should I do?
>    Can anyone give me suggestion?

blkfront is the *frontend* driver for Linux, so a Linux domU running 2.6.18-xen
would use it to access the virtual disks.

You need to check blkback (blkbk) driver! That's the one running in dom0
providing virtual disks for vms.

-- Pasi