Re: [Xen-devel] About XCP OpenNebula integration

On Wed, 2011-02-02 at 05:08 +0000, Todd Deshane wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 1:25 PM, Tino Vazquez <tinova@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >  * At the moment, ONE creates a text file that describes the VM in
> > terms that Xen understands, and this is processed by the "xm" command.
>
> XCP has a near equivalent with the xl command, which uses the libxl
> backend. Backwards compatibility (with the exception of being able to
> use arbitrary python code embedded) is the goal.

XCP does not currently include a version of Xen which includes xl or
libxl. Even in the future when it does xl will be there only as a
debugging aid for developers and will not be a supported mechanism for
interacting with an XCP host.

The XCP toolstack is xapi -- the supported way of interacting with XAPI
host is via the XenAPI XML/RPC mechanism.

One day we hope xapi will also use libxl, but this is not the same as
using xl which is a different toolstack designed to provide
compatibility with xend.

> > In XCP, there is a "xe" command with a completely different set of
> > options.

"xe" is a command line client which speaks the XenAPI XML/RPC protocol
(modulo some uninteresting implementation details)

>  The question is: can the same text file be used to launch a
> > VM in XCP? Or the approach must be something different, using the
> > functionality offered by "xe" or by XAPI?

Integrating with XenAPI is the right way to integrate with XCP. In
general I think it would be recommended that something like OpenNebula
integration uses the XML/RPC interface directly rather than forking xe
and parsing the results.

Ian.