Re: [Xen-devel] xen irq unmask bug brainstroming

>>> Hi, we found a bug related to xen spin unlock ipi. Looking forward to
>>> brainstorming for a clean fixup.
>>>
>>> How the bug happens:
>>> 1. Dom0 poweroff.
>>> 2. CPU0 takes down other CPUs.
>>> 3. IRQs are unmasked in function fixup_irqs on other CPUs.
>>> 4. IPI IRQ for "lock_kicker_irq" is unmasked (which should never happen).
>>> 5. Other CPUs receives lock_kicker_irq and dummy_handler (handler for ipi
>>> XEN_SPIN_UNLOCK_VECTOR) is invoked.
>>> 6. Dummy_handler reports bug and crashes Dom0.
>>>
>>> Main cause:
>>> Function fixup_irqs masks and then unmasks each irq when taking cpus down.
>>> And Xen irq_chip structure does not distinguish disable_ops from mask_ops.
> So
>>> when the lock_kicker_irq is unmasked, it is effectively re-enabled.
>>>
>>> A possible fixup:
>>> Provide a dedicated disable_ops for xen irq_chip structure. Prevent
>>> unmask_ops to enable irqs that are disabled.
>>
>> Other alternatives (based on what we do in non-pvops, where we
>> don't have this problem): Either mark the kicker IRQ properly as
>> IRQ_PER_CPU (IRQF_PERCPU is being passed, but this additionally
>> requires CONFIG_IRQ_PER_CPU to be set), and then exclude
>> per-CPU IRQs from being fixed up (which they obviously should be).
>>
>> Or don't use the kernel's IRQ subsystem altogether, and instead
>> directly map the kick logic to event channels. (This is what we do,
>> but we have the per-CPU handling above in place nevertheless
>> to cover IPIs and timer vIRQ.)
>>
>> Jan
>>

> Can we safely set CONFIG_IRQ_PER_CPU in current pvops kernel?

I think so, but you'll need to get this accepted by the x86 maintainers
anyway, so perhaps asking for their opinion would be useful.

Jan