Re: [Xen-devel] Memory Sharing on HVM guests

At 07:11 +0000 on 17 Feb (1297926672), Lakshitha Harshan wrote:
> I am a 4th year Computer Science undergraduate of University of
> Colombo School of Computing. We are required to do a research project
> on this year. So I have submitted a research proposal on optimizing
> the memory page sharing on xen. It has approved and now we are
> required implement it.

Excellent.  How do you plan to optimize it?

>  I'm willing to implement it on Xen hypervisor 4.0.1, based on the
> previous work on memory page sharing for HVM guests in Xen 4.0.1. But

I recommend working on the release candidate for 4.1.0 (4.1.0-rc5,
http://hg.uk.xensource.com/xen-unstable.hg/log/22929) where page sharing
is in much better shape.  MaoXiaoyun and Jui-Hao Chiang have been
working on it recently, and I hope will continue to do so after the
4.1.0 release.

> I could not find sufficient documentation on these source codes. If
> someone can provide me the following details on memory page sharing on
> HVM, it would be a great help for me.

You should start by searching the archives of xen-devel for the recent
threads about it, and using your favourite IDE to search the source code
for "memory sharing".

Cheers,

Tim.

>  1.  Which source files are involved in implementation of memory page sharing
>  2.  When the mechanism is initiated to look for sharable pages and how
>  3.  How the page sharing mechanism works
>  4.  What happens if the owner of a shared page is quitting or trying to put
> the shared pages on disk
>
> Thanking you.
> Harshan

Tim Deegan <Tim.Deegan@xxxxxxxxxx>
Principal Software Engineer, Xen Platform Team
Citrix Systems UK Ltd.  (Company #02937203, SL9 0BG)