From: Olivier Hanesse [mailto:olivier.hanesse@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, February 28, 2011 7:37 AM
To: Jeremy Fitzhardinge
Cc: Dan Magenheimer; Keir Fraser; Jan Beulich; Mark Adams; xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; Xen Users; Keir Fraser
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Xen 4 TSC problems

Hello,

It happened again twice this weekend.

What about setting "tsc_mode=2" for my vms ? Should this mode prevent this bug (coming from a bad emulated tsc due to firmware issue ? is it possible ?) from affecting time in domUs ?

Setting clocksource=pit, make 'tsc' available in "/sys/devices/system/clocksource/clocksource0/available_clocksource" (otherwise only xen is available, is it normal ? ).

Should I bypass xen clocksource and use tsc as a clocksource for dom0/domU ? or  will it be worsed ?

Regards

Olivier

2011/2/24 Jeremy Fitzhardinge <jeremy@xxxxxxxx>

On 02/24/2011 09:43 AM, Dan Magenheimer wrote:
> Just a wild guess, but this in Olivier's posted output:
>
> (XEN) Platform timer appears to have unexpectedly wrapped 10 or more times.
>
> and the fact that a 32-bit HPET wrap is ~300 seconds and, with the
> "10 or more times", 10 * 300 seconds is 3000 seconds, might be a clue
> (or a complete red herring, but I thought it worth mentioning).
>
> Mark and Olivier, it would be interesting to know if you are
> using the same processor/system.

It definitely seems like some kind of problem on the host system rather
than anything in the guests themselves. !  If the platform timer is
misbehaving, then Xen could be completely screwing up the pvclock
calibration which it then passes to guests.

Could it be one of those "platform clock stops in certain power states"
problems?