[Xen-devel] Re: [GIT PULL tip/x86/mm] xen/x86 fixes

On 03/17/2011 05:44 AM, Stefano Stabellini wrote:
On Wed, 16 Mar 2011, Stefano Stabellini wrote:
On Fri, 11 Mar 2011, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk wrote:
On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 01:17:23PM +0000, Stefano Stabellini wrote:
Hello,
recently we had a couple of long discussions with Yinghai about boot
crashes on xen, related to pagetable initialization.
As a result we came up with three patches, two of them fix the first [1]
boot crash and provide a nice cleanup on native:

I don't know why this is happening now, but it could be very well
related to the build config. Smaller builds don't seem to encounter this, while
this is a distro type build. If I use:

Stefano Stabellini (1):
       xen: set max_pfn_mapped to the last pfn mapped

it hangs during bootup. The machine hangs during the box (no keyboard
interaction)
and I can see this in the bootup.

Konrad sent me few other logs offline: log1 is the log of the hang and
log2 is a successful boot (reverting the problematic patch).
It looks like the SP5100 TCO WatchDog Timer Driver is using ioremap on
an address (0xb8fe00) that belongs to the memory range used for the
pagetable (0x9fc000-0xf43fff).
In the succesful case max_pfn_mapped is higher so the pagetable is
located at an higher address (0x16dfb000-0x17342fff) so the problem
doesn't occur.

I still have few unaswered questions on this issue: if we assume that
the ioremap address is the same in the two cases (0xb8fe00), how is it
possible that in the first case it is ram (page_is_ram returns true)
while in the second case it is not (otherwise we would still get a
warning from ioremap): page_is_ram shouldn't be affected by the position
of the kernel pagetable, and the e820 is still the same.
In any case if 0xb8fe00 is really an MMIO address memblock_find_in_range
shouldn't have returned the range (0x9fc000-0xf43fff) in
find_early_table_space.

The issue is due to a bug in the TCO driver and has been fixed thanks
to Yinghai.

Peter, can I add your ack to "Cleanup highmap after brk is concluded" by
Yinghai?

Should I send another git pull request for tip even though the two
patches on linux-tip that this series was depending on have gone
upstream?

x86-64: Move out cleanup higmap [_brk_end, _end) out of init_memory_mapping()
x86-64, mm: Put early page table high

Should I send the git pull request to Linus instead?

can you please resend the pull request to Ingo and HPA?

better to make those patches go through tip and pass Ingo's test matrix.

Thanks

Yinghai