Re: [Xen-devel] Xen 'EFI in HVM guests' GSoC idea

Hello,

At 04:50 +0000 on 23 Mar (1300855830), Jordan Justen wrote:
> I work on the UEFI VM firmware project OVMF:
> http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/tianocore/index.php?title=OVMF
>
> We would like to add support for Xen in OVMF if we can.  (Perhaps via
> a GSoC project.)

Superb!  That would be very welcome.

> I see this Xen GSoC 2011 idea has some overlap with our OVMF goal:
> http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/GSoC_2011_ideas
> => 'EFI in HVM guests'
>
> OVMF currently only supports x86/x86-64 architectures.  Does this
> match the Xen project's needs for UEFI?

Yes, it does.  I suspect that the changes to your current OVMF firmware
needed to support Xen shouldn't bee too massive, and I'm happy to help
answer questions abot what our current rombios does.

> Would it make sense for OVMF to attempt to take on a GSoC project for
> Xen support, or would the Xen project rather add this support
> separately?  I guess my question is, would the Xen project consider
> using OVMF for UEFI support, or would it rather handle the UEFI
> firmware project itself?

We would almost certainly use OVMF as the base for any Xen UEFI firmware.
If you have students currently interested in adding Xen support as a
GSoC project, or would be interested in co-supervising a student, please
contact me off-list and we can work out the details.

Cheers,

Tim.

--
Tim Deegan <Tim.Deegan@xxxxxxxxxx>
Principal Software Engineer, Xen Platform Team