Re: [Xen-devel] Question about the credit2 sources in xen-unstable tree.

  • To: George Dunlap <George.Dunlap@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: peb1611 <peb1611@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2011 21:33:48 +0900
  • Cc: xen devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 05 Apr 2011 05:34:46 -0700

Thanks for your very kind explanation :-)

Now, I'm totally make sense of what the code would say and I'm sorry about asking you withoug thoughtful consideration.

and then, I hope that the credit2 works well for not only latency sensitive apps but also any other apps.

Thank you once again.

2011-04-05 ìí 6:12, George Dunlap ì ê:
Hmm, I seem not to have documented that bit of code very well. :-)

The idea is this:
1) Start with runtime = amount of time until this vcpu's credit reaches 0:
    time = c2t(rqd, snext->credit, snext);
2) Then, if there's another vcpu on the runqueue, calculate how much
time until the current vcpu's credit matches that vcpu's credit:
    ntime = c2t(rqd, snext->credit - svc->credit, snext);
    if ( time>  ntime )
       time = ntime;
3) Finally, never let the time go outside of the minimum and maximum
schedule times:
    if ( time<  CSCHED_MIN_TIMER )
       time = CSCHED_MIN_TIMER;
    else if ( time>  CSCHED_MAX_TIMER )
       time = CSCHED_MAX_TIMER;

Does that make sense?

So let's say snext has 10 ms of credit, and there's a vcpu on the
runqueue with 5ms of credit.  Then it will be scheduled to run for 2
ms (since right now MAX_TIMER is set to 2ms).  But if the vcpu on the
runqueue has 9ms of credit, it snext will only be allowed to run for
1ms (so that when it finishes, both will have about 9ms of credit).
If, however, the next vcpu on the runqueue has 9.9ms of credit, snext
will be schedule to run for 0.5ms (since MIN_TIMER is set to 500us).

Does that make sense?

I chose MIN_TIMER and MAX_TIMER rather arbitrarily -- they probably
could use some tweaking.

  -George