Re: [Xen-devel] Building XCP Debian packages: what sources or repo to use?

  • To: Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik@xxxxxx>
  • From: Todd Deshane <todd.deshane@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 May 2011 21:47:16 -0400
  • Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Thomas Goirand <thomas@xxxxxxxxxx>, Jonathan Ludlam <Jonathan.Ludlam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Sun, 01 May 2011 18:48:00 -0700

On Sun, May 1, 2011 at 3:26 PM, Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik@xxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, May 01, 2011 at 11:14:24AM +0800, Thomas Goirand wrote:

>> > Nova should be able to run Xen via libvirt too. I don't know if this
>> > path has been tested.
>>
>> I've been told by the people from Rackspace that XCP was the way to go,
>> as this is what they use.
>>
>> > take a look here:
>> > http://www.xen.org/products/cloud_source.html
>> >
>> > You may also need to pull sources from the source code CD:
>> > http://www.xen.org/download/xcp/index.html
>> >
>> > (Add Jon Ludlam to the CC he should be able to confirm)
>> >
>> > This wiki page may also be helpful to you. The things that apply to
>> > XenServer apply to XCP as well.
>> > http://wiki.openstack.org/XenServerDevelopment
>> >
>> > You may also find this wiki page to be useful (even though it is
>> > CentOS-specific)
>> > http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XCP_Building_Instructions
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > Todd
>>
>> Thanks for all these links, but in fact, if I'm asking, it is because I
>> saw all of these documents, and that I'm even more confused. Nowhere, it
>> tells which file are the release sources to take, which one is
>> authoritative, which is the repository. There's 2 Git repository
>> referenced, and 2 hg. No definitive tar.gz to download. On the CD,
>> there's only some src.rpm files only, no tar.gz either, and what's on
>> the source CD is quite confusing as well.
>>
>> So, which one should I use?
>>

> Hello,
>
> Did you realize XCP is centos-based dedicated virtualization platform ?
> Porting it Debian is possible, but that kind of creates separate 'product'.

I think that being able to install an XCP system from package is a
long goal anyway, so getting a jump on it in Debian is a great idea.

Jon can probably comment on which source packages and/or source code
trees would be best to use and why.

Thanks,
Todd