Re: [Xen-devel] Proposal: vif-local

On Thu, 2011-05-05 at 18:15 +0100, W. Michael Petullo wrote:
> For site-specific reasons, I use the network-route/vif-route scripts. I
> have found that we need to maintain a few custom firewall rules in order
> to make things operate in an acceptable manner. I'd like to see a place
> to put such scripts and any other site-specific setup related to bringing
> up a vif. Keeping this separate from vif-route is useful so that the
> installed scripts may be kept unmodified.
>
> What I have come up with is vif-local, a script that lives in
> /etc/xen/scripts. I modified vif-route to call vif-local right before
> it logs "Successful..."

I think it would be better to be more general and support a vif-post.d
style directory which can contain scripts all of which are called (with
a defined set of paramters/env variables).

Not sure if we want vif-{route,bridge,etc}-post.d or not, perhaps that's
overkill. Using -post.d leaves open the option to add -pre.d in the
future as necessary.

> Would it be possible to modify vif-route, vif-bridge, etc. to operate
> in this manner?

Seems like a reasonable enough idea to me, please send a patch though.

Ian.