Re: [Xen-devel] Patches for VGA-Passthrough XEN 4.2 unstable

On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 11:48:00AM +0100, Stefano Stabellini wrote:
> On Wed, 18 May 2011, JavMV wrote:
> >
> > Hello, I have been working on VGA-passthrough in the last month.
> >
> > When Xen was at his version 3.5 there was a few patches to make this work
> > for some graphic cards using the patches
> > developed by Han Weidong and posted here
> > (http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2009-08/msg01176.html)
> > and
> > the same patches posted file by file are here
> > (http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2010-05/msg00441.html
> > but now this patches doesn't work on Xen-4.2 unstable because the source
> > code has changed. Well, as I am really interested
> > on VGA-Passthru I have adapted those patches to the new version of xen. I
> > have attached them for you to try it and want to
> > know if they are still working.
> >
> > This patch set should work for the same graphic cards that it worked on the
> > past (NVIDIA GT200, Geforce 8400 GS ...).
> >
> > The steps are the same:
> >
> > Before all that, you need to read out the VGA Bios of the
> > to-be-passthroughed-
> > Graphiccard with a tool; i used nvflash.exe under DOS for this task.
> > The patches assume you saved this file as "vgabios-pt.bin"
> >
> > 1. check out xen unstable:
> >     hg clone http://xenbits.xensource.com/xen-unstable.hg (Or download the
> > tarball xen-unstable.gz which I did)
> > 2. go into there and do an "initial build" so that qemu-dm gets checked-out:
> >     cd  xen-unstable.hg; cd tools; make ; make clean
> > 3. apply the patches from within the "xen-unstable.hg" dir, with patch -p0
> > 4. move the vgabios-pt.bin to "tools/firmware/vgabios/"
> > 4. do a "make install"
> > This is only for primary graphic card passthru, I didn't adapt the patch
> > "qemu-claim-vga-cycle-for-secondary-gfx-passthrou
> > gh.patch" but if anyone need it I can do it too.
> > Unfortunately these patches don't work for my NVIDIA GTX460 graphic card.
> > If anybody knows how can I make VGA-Passtrhough
> > for this one it would be great! (Or if it is not possible tell me too plz)
> > I hope you find this helpful.
>
> Thanks for your work! However my MUA cannot open your attachments, could
> you please send them again, maybe inline one email per patch?
> I think it is also worth updating the wiki page about VGA passthrough
> with your patches:
>
> http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenVGAPassthrough

Yep, indeed, thanks a lot for the patches!

JavMV: Did you take a look at the other Xen VGA passthru
patches posted last week (or so..) ? They make it possible
to dynamically load the firmware, so there's no need to
'hardcore' it into xen/qemu binaries.

It would be nice to get all these patches reviewed
and committed to xen-unstable.

-- Pasi