Re: [Xen-devel] Re: Losing PS/2 Interrupts

  • To: Stefano Stabellini <stefano.stabellini@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Thomas Goetz <tcgoetz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 May 2011 14:39:24 -0400
  • Cc: Simon Graham <simon.graham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Jan Beulich <JBeulich@xxxxxxxxxx>, Konrad Rzeszutek Rzeszutek Wilk <konrad.wilk@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 23 May 2011 11:40:18 -0700

On May 23, 2011, at 1:28 PM, Thomas Goetz wrote:

> On May 23, 2011, at 1:16 PM, Thomas Goetz wrote:

>>> I am assuming you have the latest version of my fixes to
>>> drivers/xen/events.c
>>
>> I'll have a version ported from your 2.6.39 tree to my 2.6.38 tree. I'll
>> update my copy of your tree and make sure it's up to date.
>>

>>> The problem you are describing shouldn't happen because the interrupt
>>> handler returned by request_irq to i8042 is handle_edge_irq that calls
>>> chip->irq_ack() before handle_irq_event().
>>
>> I checked on which method it is using and it's using handle_fasteoi_irq. In
>> fatc all of the IRQs under 16 are despite most being edge. Log snippet
>> below. I'm looking into why pirq_needs_eoi is returning the wrong answer now.
>

> pirq_needs_eoi checks info->u.pirq.flags & PIRQ_NEEDS_EOI. PIRQ_NEEDS_EOI is
> only set by pirq_query_unmask which sets it based on the hypercall
> PHYSDEVOP_irq_status_query which in Xen 4.0.1 and Xen unstable always returns
> an EOI is needed. Stefano, I don't see any changes in your 2.6.39 tree that
> would effect this.

I'm running with the attached workaround and I'm the PS/2 issue is gone.

drivers/xen/events.c :: xen_map_pirq_gsi

        if ((strcmp(name, "ioapic-edge") != 0) && pirq_needs_eoi(irq)) {
                set_irq_chip_and_handler_name(irq, &xen_pirq_chip,
                                handle_fasteoi_irq, name);
        } else {
                set_irq_chip_and_handler_name(irq, &xen_pirq_chip,
                                handle_edge_irq, name);
        }

---
Tom Goetz