RE: [Xen-devel] Xen security advisory CVE-2011-1898 - VT-d (PCI passthrough) MSI

None of the proposed patches check for whether passthrough is being used.  Nor
can they check whether it is being used safely (it may be used for performance
by domains that are trusted).

Whether IR is required for a secure system with passthrough depends on the
usage model (as I indicated in an earlier email).  The user/distributor should
decide whether their usage model requires it or not.  If it does, then all they
need to do is run on HW that supports IR (and if they're worried about the
pre-OS attack then use TXT, which would be necessary anyway).