[Xen-devel] About the oprofile tools/profiling tools in XEN

  • To: "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Lv, Hui" <hui.lv@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 May 2011 23:49:26 +0800
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Acceptlanguage: en-US
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 31 May 2011 14:06:51 -0700

Hi, list

I found the oprofile tools were not supported in PVOPS domain0(from jeremy’s tree). Someone has made the patch to enable it. When I applied such patch, xenoprofile can work. But the results were not trusted. (I think, part of this reason was due to xen, which changed the NMI handling way, but did not update the xenoprofile part)

So my question is that, does anyone still maintain this tools? Or, do xen guys have a plan to enable more powerful profiling tools like ‘perf’ in native Linux or something else.

One of my basic feeling about xen’s performance profiling tools is that the functional level profiling tools like oprofile were neglected recently.

Best regards!

Lv,hui

Best regards,

Lv, Hui