Re: [Xen-devel] [Patch] Disallow SMEP for PV guest

On Thu, Jun 02, 2011 at 12:01:33AM +0800, Li, Xin wrote:

> > > X86_64 pv guests runs in ring3, which SMEP doesn't apply to.
> > >
> > > Kernel supports SMEP will set it thru writing to CR4, probably we can
> > > silently
> > > ignore such writes from PV guests, but better to not let guest see it.
> >
> > Well, maybe. But if you hide the feature from the guest in CPUID then you
> > should also hide it in CR4, which will involve some messing with
> > real_cr4_to_pv_guest_cr4() and pv_guest_cr4_to_real_cr4(), in a fairly
> > obvious manner. And you should hide it in dom0's CPUID too.
>
> People are very interested in this feature :).

Hmm, can you give more details on what SMEP tries to do? The very interested
sounds like I should be aware of this but .. ah here it is:

SMEP prevents the CPU in kernel-mode to jump to an executable page that does
not have the kernel/system flag set in the pte. This prevents the kernel
from executing user-space code accidentally or maliciously, so it for example
prevents kernel exploits from jumping to specially prepared user-mode shell
code. The violation will cause page fault #PF and will have error code
identical to XD violation.

> As it can't apply to ring 3, x86_64 pv guest kernel accessing user code won't
> trigger instruction fetch page fault.  thus it makes no sense to use it here.
>
> Definitely we should hide it from dom0 kernel.  The change should be in Xen
> or pvops dom0?

Ugh, if have a patch against the paravirt kernel that would only cover the 3.1
kernel.
So you could still run with the SMEP enabled with the older kernels. Sounds like
a candidate for Xen hypervisor?