[Xen-devel] Re: PROBLEM: 3.0-rc kernels unbootable since -rc3

On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 02:01:51PM -0400, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk wrote:
> > > http://darnok.org/xen/loop_cnt.log
> > >
> > > which seems to imply that we are indeed stuck in that loop
> > > forever.
> >
> > It does indeed, thank you!  Also it looks like interrupts are
> > disabled, and that timekeeping is similarly out of action.
>
> .. With the latest patch the time looks to be advancing.

Sounds like an improvement.  ;-)

> > Disabling CONFIG_NO_HZ would be an interesting test case.
>
> Hadn't done that yet. Compiling a kernel with "# CONFIG_NO_HZ is not set"
> right now.

> > > Ok, let me try those too.
> >
> > Thank you!
>
> Will shortly do this.

> > And could you also please try out the patch that I posted earlier?
>
> With the previous patch and the .. this is getting confusing. With this patch:
> http://darnok.org/xen/loop_cnt-extra.patch

That is indeed the patch I intended.

> I get this output: http://darnok.org/xen/log.loop_cnt-extra-patch (one guest
> with 4 VCPUS) and http://darnok.org/xen/loop_cnt-extra-patch.log (the guest
> with 16 VCPUs)

OK, so the infinite loop in task_waking_fair() happens even if RCU callbacks
are deferred until after the scheduler is fully initialized.  Sounds like
one for the scheduler guys.  ;-)

                                                        Thanx, Paul