[Xen-devel] Question on "xen-blkfront: handle Xen major numbers other than XENVBD"

This is /me trying to understand the background of

commit c80a420995e721099906607b07c09a24543b31d9
Author: Stefano Stabellini <stefano.stabellini@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:   Thu Dec 2 17:55:00 2010 +0000

    xen-blkfront: handle Xen major numbers other than XENVBD

My guess would be that it has its reason from running HVM guests. The issue I in
some way hear in complaints is, that running as PVM guest (at least) people seem
to have used for example "sda1" in the instance configuration and then relied on
the device being called that way within the instance. Now it is suddenly called
"xvde1".
This is maybe a broken assumption in the first place, and not that hard to cope
with (its just surprising and maybe breaks some automation). I mainly want to
understand the reasoning, so I can explain it where I get asked.

Thanks,
Stefan