[Xen-devel] [PROPOSED REMOVAL] PV guest superpage mappings

  • To: <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Keir Fraser <keir.xen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2011 11:24:41 +0100
  • Cc: dave.mccracken@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 20 Jul 2011 03:25:31 -0700

The PV superpage mapping feature has been in the hypervisor for a while now,
but I'm not away of any use of this feature by an upstream guest kernel
(e.g., and primarily of interest, pv_ops Linux). Am I mistaken, or is anyone
looking into or interested in this? If the feature is unused we should
remove it from the hypervisor in this development cycle, as it's untested
and is nothing more than a maintenance burden and security risk. If the
feature is only used by vendor patches, the hypervisor-side implementation
belongs in that vendor's patch queues too.

 -- Keir