Re: [Xen-devel] VGA passthrough and nvidia optimus

Hi

The card is a Geforce GT 555M. And since it's an optimus card, I imagine it'll require a whole lot of custom hacks ;)

Best regards
Anders
Weeks of coding can save you hours of planning.
- http://code.google.com/p/aagaande/

On Sun, Jul 31, 2011 at 8:22 PM, Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik@xxxxxx> wrote:
On Sun, Jul 31, 2011 at 03:08:56PM +0200, Anders Aagaard wrote:
>    Hi
>    Is VGA passthrough with an nvidia optimus laptop remotely feasible? For
>    those who don't know, nvidia optimus is two hardware cards, connected to
>    the same display. One sandy bridge setup (I use the intel driver for
>    this), and one nvidia card. I have a laptop with this setup, and usually
>    I'm using only the intel card. I then use acpi_call to power down the
>    nvidia card.
>    To use this optimus setup on linux I use bumblebee
>    ([1]https://github.com/MrMEEE/bumblebee) which sets up a separate X server
>    to run the nvidia card. Then use virtualgl to show the image on the
>    current (intel sandy bridge) run X server.
>    Will it be possible for me to get VGA passthrough running? I can have it
>    running with a separate output (hdmi/vga, hopefully one of them is
>    connected directly to the nvidia card, and doesn't use any hacks with the
>    intel card to work) if it will be needed (and I figure it will, as two
>    cards are here trying to use the same display).
>    Has anyone looked into this?

Hello,

Which nvidia card is that?

Nvidia officially supports VGA passthrough only with the pro-cards (Quadro),
so the consumer-cards require some more hacks.. (=custom patching).

-- Pasi