Re: [Xen-devel] Re: [Fedora-xen] Xl and /dev/null (no domU cfgfile)

On Mon, 2011-08-01 at 23:03 +0100, Pasi KÃrkkÃinen wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 01, 2011 at 01:30:43PM -0500, W. Michael Petullo wrote:
> > The old xm command allowed for a domain to be configured from and
> > command line using "xm create /dev/null kernel=x ..." Xl does not seem
> > to support this:
> >
> > $ sudo xl create /dev/null
> > libxl: error: libxl_utils.c:328:libxl_read_file_contents /dev/null is not a
> > plain file: Success
> > Failed to read config file: /dev/null: Inappropriate ioctl for device

That's a pretty weird interface, probably more of a coincidence than a
deliberate feature. Far better would be to just make the file optional.
Can someone cook up such a patch?

If we are looking to be bug/oddity compatible with xm then we could
remove the S_ISREG check from libxl_read_file_contents. I suppose that,
in principal at least, there is no reason to prevent people reading
pipes, fifos, symlinks or even character devices to get the
configuration file. (unless we might potentially read it multiple
times?).