Re: [Xen-devel] xen 4.1.2* dhcp issue/bug when installing HVM domU domains (CentOS 6, unbuntu 11.04 server). Debian works fine.

On Sun, Aug 14, 2011 at 03:52:57PM +0200, Mark Schneider wrote:
> Hello,

Hello,

This is probably something for xen-users mailinglist instead..
It sounds like a configuration problem to me.

> As there are quite a lot of involved details I would use links to keep
> better overview of the problem.
>
> The problem is that CentOS (tested with 6.0) and ubuntu (tested with
> 11.04 server) *can't get* an IP address during the installation of HVMs.
> I had the same problem with NetBSD 5.1 however didn't repeat this test
> yesterday again. I have tested with "model=e1000" and "model=rtl8139"
> (s. the HVM config file below)
> http://www.it-infrastrukturen.com/fileadmin/linux/paste/xen-centos-issues/hvm-centos1Gbit.born2b3.net.cfg
>
> Debian's squeeze and wheezy images *don't have this issue* and are
> getting an IP address (dhpc) during the installation and booting.
>
> The following text describes the test with CentOS 6.0 and involves only
> it's logfiles or kernel output.
> During the installation CentOS was not able to get an IP address (dhcp).
> After booting from LVM-drive "lspci" listed the correct PCI device:
> 00:04.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82540EM Gigabit Ethernet
> Controller (rev 03)
>
> There was NO network configuration .. even for dhcp (in ifcfg-eth0).
> After setting it manually "service network restart" hang a while after
> like "Determining of information for eth0 .. " and gave "failed" back.
> There were three dhcp-Discover requests on eth0 in dom0 but no responce
> for requests from CentOS HVM.
>
> tcpdump -i eth0 -vvv -s 1500 '((port 67 or port 68) and (udp[8:1] = 0x1))'

Ok, so the question is "why your dhcp server is not responding?"

Did you also tcpdump on "peth0" interface in dom0, to make sure the dhcp
requests
actually go *out* from the physical interface?

Do you see the dhcp requests on the dhcp server? run tcpdump on the dhcp server
aswell.

> I made the same test with "ubuntu 11.04 server" as HVM .. with the same
> "failed" message. After I have installed this ubuntu iso image on bare
> metal (another HP DL385g7) and didn't run in such troubles. The
> installation has got an IP address (dhcp) and after boot there was also
> an IP address for eth0.
>
> How can I trace the dhcp install issue? Below are some details and traces:
>
> HVM config file:
> http://www.it-infrastrukturen.com/fileadmin/linux/paste/xen-centos-issues/hvm-centos1Gbit.born2b3.net.cfg
>
> Details about the test server / xen installation (dom0):
> http://www.it-infrastrukturen.com/fileadmin/linux/paste/xen-centos-issues/dom0_details.txt
> http://www.it-infrastrukturen.com/fileadmin/linux/debian-live-xen/config-3.0.1
>
> Trace details (for CentOS domU):
> http://www.it-infrastrukturen.com/fileadmin/linux/paste/xen-centos-issues/grub.conf_CentOS_kernel-debug-output-on
> http://www.it-infrastrukturen.com/fileadmin/linux/paste/xen-centos-issues/centos-kernel-output.txt
> http://www.it-infrastrukturen.com/fileadmin/linux/paste/xen-centos-issues/config-2.6.32-71.el6.x86_64
>

> As I don't like to give up I have set a static IP for eth0 in ifcfg-eth0
> and restarted network service.
> Now CentOS domU has got an IP address and "route" showed the default
> gateway however it is only possible to ping dom0 (and not default
> gateway). Probably I am missing here something else.

Are you sure you're using free/unused static MAC address for the VM ?

And again, run tcpdump in dom0 on "peth0" interface and make sure the
icmp packets go *out* from dom0 to physical network.

Also run tcpdump on the router/defaultgateway. Can you see the icmp packets
there?

> Some details:
> http://www.it-infrastrukturen.com/fileadmin/linux/paste/xen-centos-issues/ip-issue-centos-hvm.txt
>
> For tests I have used xen 4.1.2* debian live image (kernel 3.0.1 final
> with some xen settings) booting dom0 from an USB stick (s. details
> below).
> http://www.it-infrastrukturen.com/fileadmin/linux/debian-live-xen/README.xen-live
>
> Thank you in advance for your any hints.

-- Pasi