RE: [Xen-devel] expose MWAIT to dom0

>>> On 16.08.11 at 08:03, "Tian, Kevin" <kevin.tian@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Not following you here: If I execute a "real" cpuid instruction, I will know
whether mwait is "present".

> all have mwait support, so this may not be big problem.
>
>> that while improving the situation on CPUs that support the break-on-
>> interrupt extension to mwait, it would result in C2/C3 not being usable
>> at all on CPUs that don't (but support mwait in its simpler form and
>> have ACPI tables specifying FFH as address space id). Is that only a
>> theoretical concern (i.e. is there an implicit guarantee that for other
>> than C1 FFH wouldn't be specified without that extension being
>> available)? I thinks it's a practical one, or otherwise there wouldn't
>> be a point in removing the ACPI_PDC_C_C2C3_FFH bit prior to _PDC
>> evaluation.
>
> Yes, this is a practical one, though I don't know any box doing that. In all
> the boxes I've been using so far, all the extensions are available. But
> since
> BIOS vendor may also impact the availability of CPUID bits, I think we
> should do it right by strictly conforming to theSDM. I.e. we need check
> CPUID leafs and then verify all Cx states propagated from dom0, instead
> of blindly following its info. Will work a patch for that.

You're getting it sort of wrong way round: What I don't want to do (but
seemingly being necessary) is mimic the decision logic the hypervisor
uses (i.e. require the break-on-interrupt extension for C2/C3 entering
through MWAIT) in Dom0 when deciding about the bits to pass to
_PDC. That ought to be an implementation detail (subject to change)
in the hypervisor alone. The hypervisor itself, otoh, already properly
checks CPUID leaf 5 (and that's what might cause it to not use mwait
despite the bit in CPUID leaf 1 being set, which should be all Dom0
ought to look at for deciding whether to clear ACPI_PDC_C_C2C3_FFH).

Jan