Re: [Xen-devel] hvm guest direct kernel boot

On Tue, 23 Aug 2011, William Dauchy wrote:
> Hi Stefani,
>
> Thank you for your reply.
>
> On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 7:02 PM, Stefano Stabellini
> <stefano.stabellini@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > That has never been supported AFAIK.
> > Of course we could accept patches to make it work.
>
> Probably but there was config options to support this (loader +
> kernel) and code in both xend and qemu-dm.

It is still present for PV guests (remove builder=hvm), you can use
kernel and ramdisk.

> In upstream qemu, the code is present to support direct boot but the
> xen implementation is quite different from the usual "qemu way", at
> least for grabbing ram at start; see `pc_memory_init` which is
> bypassed by `xen_enabled`.
> I will see if I find time to patch the upstream qemu version.

Unfortuntely it is not just a matter of editing qemu, you need to start
from libxc and libxenlight: the linux kernel image should probably be
passed by libxenlight to xc_hvm_build_target_mem, that should be able to
read it and map it in the guest.