Re: [Xen-devel] VM hangs during boot on 3.0.4 dom0 kernel, works on alternative hardware

On 06/09/2011 17:16, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 05, 2011 at 11:31:16AM +0100, Anthony Wright wrote:
>> I have two machines with identical Dom0's and DomUs, but different
>> hardware. The Dom0 has a patch which I produced myself based on the "Re:
>> [Xen-devel] Kernel bug from 3.0 (was phy disks and vifs timing out in
>> DomU)" thread. The patch calls vmalloc_sync_all after every
>> alloc_vm_area, and I realise this isn't the best solution, but it
>> allowed me to move forward.
> <nods>
>> The patch fixes the problem I had on one machine, so that now the VMs
>> boot correctly, but I have another system with an identical setup
>> (identical Dom0 & DomU kernels, identical startup for DomU) and the VM
>> fails to start. I have attached a copy of the console log from the good
>> VM and the bad VM.
> And what does the dom0 and xen hypervisor log give you?
Not a lot, I've attached good/bad dmesg & xend.logs, but I can't see
much indicative in them, other than some errors about L1 entries in the
good dmesg log which I believe are related to the bug with I patched
(I'll report in other thread).
> It looks to be hanging at identifying the CPU - is the hardware
> quite different from one setup to another? Have you toyed with
> using the cpuid flag in the guest to mimic the lowest CPU type?
Yes the hardware is quite a lot different. I've had a good look at the
cpuid flag, found the cpuid utility & wikipedia page, but I can't find
much documentation on the xen cpuid parameter other than some fairly
arcane entries in xmexample.hvm. The cpuid utility produces output in
hex, while the cpuid flag wants input in binary (with extra controls).
Is there any formal documentation that describes cpuid, or an easy way
to generate cpuid parameter values?

Also my DomU is PV rather than HVM and I see that cpuid is only in HVM
xmexample files. Is this just a coincidence or is cpuid a HVM only feature?

thanks,

Anthony.