Re: [Xen-devel] Re: PCI passthrough stopped working, brainache!

On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 10:49:37PM +0100, Andy Burns wrote:
> On 11 October 2011 22:25, Andy Burns <xen.lists@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Well, I have it partly working again
> > I think it's either ...
> >
> > Using "com1=115200,8n1 console=com1" on the hypervisor command with
> > "console=hvc0" on the dom0 kernel command
> > which I think would be a WTF? if that turns out to be the cause.
>
> And the winner is  .......... WTF?
>
> I'd enabled serial console for catching some crashers around the
> 3.1.0-rc5 and -rc6 releases, once Konrad's fixes made it upstream I'd
> left the console serial enabled with -rc7 and -rc8, but I reverted to
> VGA console with -rc9 as I was no longer seeing any crashers!
>
> The motherboard is an X38 chipset, but doesn't have VT-d due to lack
> of BIOS support (thanks ASUS) so there's no VGA passthrough going on.
>
> Any educated guesses as to what's the cause?

So it works now right? Did you turn off the machine in between your
reboots - when you went back from CentOS to F16?

(Yes, I did encounter a bug where it would program an hardware interface
that would retain its state after a reboot and cause the newly built kernel
to go wrongly. Spent couple of good days trying to narrow that one down).