Re: [Xen-devel] Phoronix Xen vs KVM vs Virtualbox benchmark with Ubuntu 11.10

--On 2 November 2011 13:34:21 +0000 Alex Bligh <alex@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I was able to load Oneiric as PV on HVM at Xen 4.1.2 Oneiric Dom0
(3.1.0-030100-generic)  after rebuilding the recent 3.1.0-3 Ubuntu's
kernel with
CONFIG_XEN_PLATFORM_PCI=y , uploading debian packages  :-

I very much doubt the reviewer did this. The -server variant (certainly
on one of the Oneiric pre-releases) had CONFIG_XEN_PLATFORM_PCI=m so
it should have been brought in by modprobe. I would guess -virtual
is the same. The installer OTOH does /not/ have the module in the udeb
which is an omission.

Actually, my mistake. -server does include CONFIG_XEN_PLATFORM_PCI
but
/lib/modules/3.0.0-12-server/kernel/drivers/xen/xen-platform-pci.ko
(at the very least) is not being built into the initrd for some
reason, even on the distributed version.

I somehow doubt the Phoronix guys built their own kernel.  That
would imply they were using emulated disks.

--
Alex Bligh