Re: Is: Xen 4.1.1, xend, HVM, 3.1 kernel; Was:Re: [Xen-devel] xen 4.2 unstable; HVM; 2.6.39.3; HD/Network card error

On Mon, 7 Nov 2011, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk wrote:
> > > XENBUS: Timeout connecting to device: device/vkbd/0 (local state 3,
> > > remote state 1)
> > > [which seems odds as the vkb from VNC looks to be working]
> >
> > Thanks for pointing this out: I enabled vkbd in upstream qemu but I
> > forgot to do the same in qemu-xen so as a result you would get failures
> > of this kind.
>
> Oh boy. Seems that there are a couple of issues here. It might be that the
> timeout I had experienced was _only_ related to this and the other were
> red-herrings.
>
> You might want to make sure M A Young and Stefan Bader are CC-ed on your Xen
> 4.1.1
> patch so they can pull it in.

Actually I have just realized that the vkbd feature couldn't possibly
have been backported to xen 4.1.1. In fact I didn't even add any vkbd
devices for HVM guests in XL in xen-unstable yet.
Of course this was to avoid situations like this one.

So my guess is that when you use "vfb" in an HVM guest config file
you cause xend to create a vkbd device that is without backend.
A PV on HVM guest would try to connect to it but it wouldn't get any
response back so it would timeout.

The solution to this problem is to avoid using vfb in the config file. I
strongly hope that the config file you showed us before is not generated
by libvirt somehow. If it is we need to file a bug against libvirt.