Re: [Xen-devel] [xen-unstable test] 10135: regressions - FAIL

~Ian Campbell writes ("Re: [Xen-devel] [xen-unstable test] 10135: regressions -
FAIL"):
>> According to
> http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~xensrcts/results/bisect.xen-unstable.test-amd64-i386-rhel6hvm-intel.redhat-install.html
> changeset 24227:1027e7d13d02 was tested and failed. That would have
> included
> 24206:05dd94652d8d tools/check: Add files missing from 24205:5c88358164cc
> 24205:5c88358164cc tools: check for libaio unless user has configured
> CONFIG_SYSTEM_LIBAIO=n
>
> Now I don't think the bisector would ever have given us reason to look
> at this commits but if they had gone it at the same time as the new
> dependency this could have saved a lot of trouble tracking down the
> problem.

"gone in" I guess.  I spent a while staring that trying to make sense
of it assuming it was meant to say "done it".

But, no, because the check would have passed because it's run on the
build host and the build host has the runtime lib installed because
it's a dependency of the dev lib.

> In
> http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~xensrcts/logs/10032/build-i386/4.ts-xen-build.log
>  (one of the runs finger by the bisector which included the above commits) I
> can see the CHECK-BUILD runes getting run but not the CHECK-INSTALL ones.
>
> The call to ./chk install in the install target seems to have been
> deliberately removed in 16906:f4ee7e5793cf for reasons I don't quite
> understand (I suspect because of the install-into-a-staging-dir property
> of install). Since you install on a different host to the build host
> it's possible that the tester might need to jump through some extra
> hoops to cause this stuff to run there anyway. Perhaps the tester could
> copy tools/check over and execute "./chk install" or "make
> check-install" itself? The top-level install.sh does something like
> this, but I'm not sure you are (or should be) using it.

I could have the tester run ./chk install on the install host and
see.  But I don't think we promise that this will work.

Running ./chk install on the build host during "make install" is a
good idea but wouldn't have found this problem more quickly.

Ian.