Re: [Xen-devel] Permission for xenstore operation on HVM

duolvxendev,

  I am hitting this too and I really wish there were a trick to avoid
this...

I have two theories with regard to this.

theory 1: for HVM guests Xen gives the ownership of the xenstore variables
to dom0 instead of the domU that is running the guest. My humble guess is
that Xen assumes that HVM guests are gonna be hypervisor agnostic and not
gonna be using xenstore. Of course this assumption breaks when you have
PV-HVM guests.

theory 2: in libxenlight, @libxl_create.c:290

char *rw_paths[] = { "control/shutdown", "device",
"device/suspend/event-channel" , "data"};

should actually also include "vm-data". People who bypass libxl (maybe by
using xm?) will not notice the issue. Unfortunately, I don't have a system
with xm at hand to double check this wild guess of mine...

thanks!
-alessandro-