Re: [Xen-devel] [Android-virt] [Embeddedxen-devel] [ANNOUNCE] Xen port to Cortex-A15 / ARMv7 with virt extensions

On Thu, 2011-12-01 at 15:10 +0000, Catalin Marinas wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 01, 2011 at 10:26:37AM +0000, Ian Campbell wrote:

> > > Sure, I can do that.
> > > Usually the hypercall calling convention is very hypervisor specific,
> > > but if it turns out that we have the same requirements I happy to design
> > > a common interface.
> >
> > I expect the only real decision to be made is hypercall page vs. raw hvc
> > instruction.
> >
> > The page was useful on x86 where there is a variety of instructions
> > which could be used (at least for PV there was systenter/syscall/int, I
> > think vmcall instruction differs between AMD and Intel also) and gives
> > some additional flexibility. It's hard to predict but I don't think I'd
> > expect that to be necessary on ARM.
> >
> > Another reason for having a hypercall page instead of a raw instruction
> > might be wanting to support 32 bit guests (from ~today) on a 64 bit
> > hypervisor in the future and perhaps needing to do some shimming/arg
> > translation. It would be better to aim for having the interface just be
> > 32/64 agnostic but mistakes do happen.
>
> Given the way register banking is done on AArch64, issuing an HVC on a
> 32-bit guest OS doesn't require translation on a 64-bit hypervisor.

The issue I was thinking about was struct packing for arguments passed
as pointers etc rather than the argument registers themselves. Since the
preference appears to be for raw hvc we should just be careful that they
are agnostic in these.

Ian.