Re: [Xen-devel] Xen 4.x / Linux 3.x (dom0 and HVM domU) and NIC handling

--On 2 December 2011 12:41:10 +0200 Pasi KÃrkkÃinen <pasik@xxxxxx> wrote:

And then, ok this is probably a quite naive approach, it seemed to make
sense to go through the pain of always having potentially both
interfaces available (emulated and pv) so in theory the same guest
config can accommodate a guest os supporting one or the other (or easily
switch from one to the other). Otherwise I would expect an emulated
device only when I have hd? in the config and a pv device when I write
xvd?.

This works for both HVM and PVHVM (also mentioned on the wiki page):
vif = [ 'mac=00:16:5e:02:07:45, bridge=xenbr0, model=e1000' ]

So there's no need for "type=ioemu" option with xm/xend.

You can switch between HVM and PVHVM with:
xen_platform_pci=0|1

AFAIK changing xen_platform_pci=0|1 will switch rather more than just
the NIC. It will switch your disk too, instantly causing your previously
happily booting OS to fail to boot as the root device name changes.

--
Alex Bligh