Re: [Xen-devel] xenbus and the message of doom

On Tue, 2011-12-20 at 17:29 +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:
> Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk writes ("Re: [Xen-devel] xenbus and the message of
> doom"):
> > Sorry Olaf, have to revert that commit.
>
> I agree.  When we introduced it we weren't aware that most existing
> implementations of xenstored simply ignore unknown commands rather
> than replying with an error.  If we had known this we would not have
> approved Olaf's patch.
>
> That they ignore unknown commands is of course a bug but expecting
> everyone to update is no good.  Really the best approach would be some
> kind of discovery mechanism.
>
> Maybe we should have a special path @xenstore/fail_unknown_commands
> which you could read, or something.  But this time we should try it
> against old implementations.

I was sure I'd seen some precedent (and therefore an existing path) for
this sort of thing at some point but I can't for the life of me find it.

The closest I could find is
the /local/domain/<N>/control/platform-feature-multiprocessor-suspend
node which we write statically for every domain. I suppose putting it
under /local/domain/<N> is consistent with restricting the domain to
mostly it's own home area.

Ian.