Re: [Xen-devel] Xen interfaces / hooks

On Tue, 2011-12-20 at 23:02 +0000, Mustafa Aydin wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have been looking through the internet and through the wiki, trying
> to find something which explains in details the available interfaces
> with which one might be able to insert some code to make some slight
> additions to Xen functionality. I am doing some research on the
> possibility of adding some extra functionality to Xen, and my
> supervisor has mentioned that these are things worth looking into (he
> called them modules / kernel modules).
>
> Is there a source of info which lists these tools please? Although I
> have spent today going through many pages and searching I could not
> find anything, although perhaps I was using some incorrect terms.

The Xen hypervisor does not have any concept of kernel modules or
runtime code modification / loading.

The method by which you insert some code into or make some modification
is to modify the hypervisor code directly.

Perhaps if you explain your actual end goal you can be better advised.

Or perhaps you/your supervisor are thinking of the dom0 guest operating
system which may have a module loading system (e.g. Linux does). This is
nothing to do with Xen though.

Thanks,
Ian.