Re: [Xen-devel] MIPS port

On Thu, 2012-01-05 at 23:38 +0000, Prasad Boddupalli wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> About 3 weeks back, after resolving some console related issues, SMP
> versions of PV dom0 and domU could be booted on our MIPS boards. Our
> current version of MIPS Xen is based on an old version (3.4.0) and are
> currently in the process of moving the changes to the unstable branch.
> The Linux changes are not part of pv-ops infrastructure.
>
> Although we have our simulator, the plan is to get the above running
> on Qemu to enable others try out the MIPS version of Xen. Linux could
> be released as a tarball for the present.
>
> The performance of applications such as hackbench is a little
> unsatisfactory when run on PV Linux (due to frequent traps in the
> syscall path). So, we are also working on performance improvements,
> which probably could go on in parallel with the submission to open
> source.
>
> Any suggestions with regard to submitting our changes are welcome.

Sounds pretty cool!

The usual guide for posting patches is
http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/SubmittingXenPatches but that's not really
appropriate for a complete new architecture submission. Some stuff, like
signing-off patches, writing commit messages and hints on tooling still
apply so I'd encourage you to read it anyway.

You might like to take a look at Stefano's recent postings of the Xen
ARM port patches. In general the form is general patches first followed
by new arch code in rough functional blocks, with the usual constraint
wrt building at every step relaxed. Putting the Makefile patch last
helps avoid any confusion about when the new port should be buildable.

In general I think it'd be better to just post it and we can worry about
the details later.

Cheers,
Ian.