Re: [Xen-devel] How to get the cache miss ratio of Guest VM

  • To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Dietmar Hahn <dietmar.hahn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2012 13:40:08 +0100
  • Cc: George Dunlap <George.Dunlap@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, gavin <gbtux@xxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 11 Jan 2012 12:42:39 +0000
  • Domainkey-signature: s=s1536a; d=ts.fujitsu.com; c=nofws; q=dns; h=X-SBRSScore:X-IronPort-AV:Received:X-IronPort-AV: Received:Received:From:To:Cc:Subject:Date:Message-ID: User-Agent:In-Reply-To:References:MIME-Version: Content-Transfer-Encoding:Content-Type; b=eOAsTKb1fMfVJRKAIxaGacxADfTjLS/TrQA2Ag1RVPYv134f8On935RN d6JRg3N+KLA7Aa0ToORnXtzv5S3vhZg3CKxhgr7zkrVRxSVGjSENq88Ml gyEkQOGgfc4B0z9+qZ6D0IhKSlgQ2uJT3lUVXr8b1xAwjDiYtIvGuYqLQ v2ln7QJj4qS25T9i8vo7EzeZBp8Jo/IZ2SVfZWSilTrWUkDixJEoPyoDd 9TOFVn9zRsk1jY7IEPM4toKZM/WTo;

Am Mittwoch 11 Januar 2012, 12:07:48 schrieb George Dunlap:
> 2012/1/10 gavin <gbtux@xxxxxxx>:
> > I noticed that the credit2 scheduling algorithm has one runqueue every L2
> > cache that is shared by cores in one socket. If vCPUs, which need to
> > communicate more with each other, are assigned to the cores sharing the same
> > L2 cache, the L2 cache miss ratio of Guest VM may be reduced. And also, the
> > performance of the Guest VM will be improved. Is it right? But, how to test
> > the cache miss ratio of L2 in Guest VM? Are the tools that used to test the
> > cache miss ratio in non-virtualized environment can be used in Xen Guest VM?
>
> Looking through the code, it looks like performance counters are
> passed-through to HVM guests, both on AMD and Intel.  And it appears
> that Fujitsu is regularly using the performance counters on Intel at
> least (since Deitmar Hahn has been the one posting patches for new
> performance counters).
>
> It appears that there is no support for access to performance counters
> in PV mode, other than to use them for xenoprofile (which will not
> allow you to read the counters directly).
>
> So it's worth trying whatever method you normally use to look at
> performance counters while running in an HVM guest.

Yes, only HVM guests. On Intel (for what I sent patches) only some processors
are supported.
You have to add the hypervisor boot variable 'vpmu' in your grub/menu.lst or
whatever.
If your processor is not supported you will see a message in the hypervisor
boot logging (it's printed from the sorce xen/arch/x86/hvm/vpmu.c function
vpmu_initialise()).

Dietmar.

--
Company details: http://ts.fujitsu.com/imprint.html