An: Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk <konrad@xxxxxxxxxx>;
CC: Sander Eikelenboom <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; Jan Beulich <JBeulich@xxxxxxxx>;
Von: Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk <konrad.wilk@xxxxxxxxxx>
Gesendet: Mo 23.01.2012 23:42
Betreff: Re: [Xen-devel] Load increase after memory upgrade (part2)
Anlage: vmalloc
On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 10:29:23AM -0400, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk wrote:
> > > The issue as I understand is that the DVB drivers allocate their buffers
> > > from 0->4GB most (all the time?) so they never have to do bounce-buffering.
> > >
> > > While the pv-ops one ends up quite frequently doing the bounce-buffering,
> > > which
> > > implies that the DVB drivers end up allocating their buffers above the 4GB.
> > > This means we end up spending some CPU time (in the guest) copying the
> > > memory
> > > from >4GB to 0-4GB region (And vice-versa).
> >
> > This reminds me of something (not sure what XenoLinux you use for
> > comparison) - how are they allocating that memory? Not vmalloc_32()
>
> I was using the 2.6.18, then the one I saw on Google for Gentoo, and now
> I am going to look at the 2.6.38 from OpenSuSE.
>
> > by chance (I remember having seen numerous uses under - iirc -
> > drivers/media/)?
> >
> > Obviously, vmalloc_32() and any GFP_DMA32 allocations do *not* do
> > what their (driver) callers might expect in a PV guest (including the
> > contiguity assumption for the latter, recalling that you earlier said
> > you were able to see the problem after several guest starts), and I
> > had put into our kernels an adjustment to make vmalloc_32() actually
> > behave as expected.
>
> Aaah.. The plot thickens! Let me look in the sources! Thanks for the
> pointer.

Jan hints lead me to the videobuf-dma-sg.c which does indeed to vmalloc_32
and then performs PCI DMA operations on the allocted vmalloc_32
area.

So I cobbled up the attached patch (hadn't actually tested it and sadly
won't until next week) which removes the call to vmalloc_32 and instead
sets up DMA allocated set of pages.

If that fixes it for you that is awesome, but if it breaks please
send me your logs.

Cheers,
Konrad