[Xen-devel] Reboots and Panics(4.1.2/4.2-unstable)

Environment:
ASRock Z86 Extreme4 - Intel i5 2500
http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=Z68%20Extreme4

I have installed the latest UEFI patch(1.70) and all tests were run from a reset of everything to default. I have tested with both Ubuntu 11.10 and Fedora 16 and get the same results on both, including building xen 4.2-unstable. I bought this particular MB because it had a know working vt-d implementation via VMWare.

NOTE: current unstable as of last night is still affected by this library error http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/xen/devel/234300

However, after correcting the library error, I was able to complete the unstable build.

In both cases, it either stops with a panic/blank screen, or just reboots.

Here are some other notes:

1) If x2apic is enabled on the motherboard, it almost immediately reboots with any of the configurations above

2) The boot gets to here:

(XEN) HVM: VMX enabled

(XEN) HVM: Hardware Assisted Paging detected.

Then goes to a "(XEN)Failed to bring up CPU x(error -5)" and this is where it hangs with the blank/panic screen or reboots. This sometimes shows up on CPU 1, CPU2, or both.

3) There is no boot log written and the machine does not have a native serial port, so capturing anything may prove difficult, but I am open to suggestions.

4) Xen Live(http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/LiveCD) works ok, unless x2apic is enabled, then it simply panics and reboots.

The logs(xen_live.tgz) are attached. Note this was captured with VT-d being enabled, but I did check it with VT-d enabled and the boot looked the same. I can capture it again if needed.

5) Xen Server 6.0.0 works, with Xen 4.1.1, with both VT-d enabled(which shows working in xl) and x2apic enabled.

I have also attached(xen_server_6.0.0.tar.gz) these logs, which includes logs both with and without VT-d and x2apic enabled. I did not actually create any VMs, only booted this and checked what xl reported.

If there is anything else I can add, please let me know. I am going to download 4.1.1 now, build it and see if it works, because it does on Xen Server. I am open to testing anything as this is an original build on this box, so I'm willing to knock it around if it will help.

Thanks,

Paul