Re: [Xen-devel] [Xen-users] GPU Pass Through Comment - DomU GPU Performance Regression after Reboot - Workaround

Hi!

after the first disappointment about the FirePro-Driver not solving my issue, i
fiddled around with this problem and finally found a solution which solves the
Performance-Regression i'm experiencing in my setup;

The Problem is: GPU Performance degrades to about 10% after a DomU Reboot (GPU
is ATI, but this also happend with a NVIDIA iirc , so no ATI-specific Problem).

The Workaround: too easy :) Simply "Eject" the GPU after Windows has booted -
the screen goes black, it re-initializes the Card and re-attaches after a few
seconds. From then on Performance is back to normal.
Ejecting is done via the little Device-Manager Icon in the Taskbar (this one:
http://www.technipages.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Windows-7-Remove-
Hardware-option.pngwww.technipages.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Windows-7-
Remove-Hardware-option.png )

To Automate this, i used a little tool called "DevEject" from heise.de - it's
"OpenSource" Licensed and works even in Win7-64:
ftp://ftp.heise.de/pub/ct/listings/0316-208.zip
There may be other Tools/Scripting solutions via WSH/Powershell/VBS/CMD/...

Greetings!
Tobias